UV-C Light Technology

The Power of UV-C Light Technology

What is UV-C?

UV-C is part of the ultraviolet light spectrum that is filtered out by the earth’s atmosphere. The “C” stands for the particular frequency of UV light spectrum that kills germs and bacteria. The DNA of the microorganisms is damaged causing death of the organism – no resistance can develop.

How does UV-C work and why is it so effective at destroying germs?

UV-C light is highly effective at penetrating the walls of many pathogens like viruses and bacteria. The light alters the genetic structure of the organism which renders them unable to cause infection. UV-C light is not visible to the unaided eye due to its location on the electromagnetic spectrum. Thanks to its germicidal wavelength (aka frequency) UV-C is ideally located in the spectrum that best inactivates microorganisms and viral air contaminants.

When a virus or microorganism comes in contract with UV-C its nucleus is penetrated and its DNA is irreparably damaged, which results in death or the inability to reproduce. The technology stops the potential of transmitting pathogens from device to another person.

Is UV-C harmful?

Prolonged eye exposure (i.e., eight or more hours) to UV-C light can cause irritation so it is important not to look or stare at UV-C light.


Is this new technology?

No, UV-C has been used for over 100 years in various applications to kill germs on surfaces, in the air and in the water. UV-C has been proven to kill up to 99.999% of germs and bacteria that often cause sickness or death. Ultraviolet rays within the UV-C wavelength are highly effective at destroying pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, mold and mildew.

UV-C light has become very popular and is used in many anti-microbial applications today. Some of today’s applications include: hospitals, health & sports clubs, food processing and manufacturing plants, water purification, professional sports locker rooms and consumer products companies which focus on personal hygiene and hand-held wand products. UV-C is considered harmless to the human body in applications which use low-wattage bulbs.